Alaska Broadcasters Association Intern Grant Program
The ABA will offer ten, $1,000 Internship Grants each calendar year. These grants are made possible by station support of the “Community Voice” NCSA program.
Grant Applications will be available for submission as of January 1st online at www.alaskabroadcasters.org and will be reviewed by the selection committee within two weeks following the deadline for submission of April 1st.
Internship Grants are to be used to fairly compensate selected interns and (or) off set expenses associated with training and supplies required during the internship cycle.
Eligible stations must be in good standing with the ABA and current with their membership dues as of March 31st of the calendar year. Furthermore, station applicants must abide in good faith with the intent of their application and submit all required forms documenting their participation at the completion of their internship cycle.
Application criteria to be considered by the ABA “Internship Grant”, selection committee shall include the following:
The overall Intent and clarity of the station’s proposed internship program
- Number of interns to be recruited by the station
- Length of the station’s internship cycle
- The station’s intern selection process
- Station’s assessment of probable employment for intern(s) after internship cycle
- Presentation and professional appearance of the station’s application
- Station’s prior ABA internship grant history
- Specific job description and concise statement of station’s internship training program
- Explanation of why the applicant’s internship grant should be awarded
We have had wonderful feedback from our participants. Many interns have chosen to continue in broadcasting and to pursue higher education in support of their career choice. Some interns have proved to be of such value that stations have gone on to hire them as full time employees. At other times, interns go on into other careers; but they have provided stations with much needed help and have used their internship as a work experience for their resumes. We find that this program is a win-win situation for both stations and interns and the community.
Interim Executive Director
Alaska Broadcasters Association